CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
2019 Summer Residency Program for PhD Students in the Humanities at the National Humanities Center in North Carolina
“Objects and Places in an Inquiry-Based Classroom: Teaching, Learning, and Research in the Humanities”
Number of awards: 2
Deadline: March 25, 2019
The Graduate Student Summer Residency Program is a two-week institute for PhD students in the humanities that pairs pedagogical approaches with emerging digital humanities tools to benefit the participants’ research and teaching. Throughout the program, participants work in cross-university and interdisciplinary teams to create instructional materials for their teaching portfolio and to explore methods for effectively working with different learning communities. The program aims to provide support for career diversification and preparation, as well as to create a rich network of professionals engaged with humanities education and outreach. Participants will contribute classroom-ready lessons to the National Humanities Center’s digital repository, build curricula for their teaching portfolios, and be able to cite the Residency Program on their CV.
The ten-day program will be hosted from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM each day at the National Humanities Center in Durham, North Carolina on July 15-26, 2019. The Residency includes several field research trips and a final showcase on the last day of the program.
The National Humanities Center has designated 2 spots in this program for UC Santa Cruz humanities PhD students. The fellowship, funded by The Humanities Institute, Center for Innovations in Teaching and Learning, and the Graduate Division, will cover:
- Tuition for each participant in the amount of $1,750. This covers program design expenses including guest scholars, lunches, materials, and local transportation.
- Housing allowance up to $2,000. The fellow can either arrange their own housing or participate in the housing program at NHC.
- Travel expenses from/to North Carolina.
- Meals and Incidentals for the duration of the trip.
Eligibility: The applicant must be:
- a) A PhD student in a graduate program in one of the humanities departments
- b) Within normative time and in good academic standing
- c) Enrolled in at least five credits of graduate-level coursework. Students are ineligible to apply while on leave.
Your application to be one of the two UCSC participants in the Residency Program should include the following components. Your application will be reviewed by The Humanities Institute and Center for Innovations in Teaching and Learning.
A. Letter of application answering questions 1-7 (no more than 2 pages total):
- One of the goals of the NHC Summer Residency Program is to support humanities PhD students to create meaningful learning experiences. What has come up for you in your teaching that makes you interested in this program?
- In the Summer Residency Program, PhD students will participate in cross-university and interdisciplinary teams to explore and apply new skills and create instructional materials. What strengths, experiences, and perspectives can you bring to such collaborations?
- How can you envision bringing what you learn through your experience in the program back to your humanities graduate student colleagues at UCSC?
- How do you understand the Summer Residency Program fitting in with your current and post-graduation goals, including contributing to humanities scholarship and teaching more broadly?
- Have you participated in other professional development opportunities for teaching at UCSC (such as programs/workshops through the Center for Innovations in Teaching and Learning) or at another institution? If so, please explain.
- If selected to participate in this program, can you commit to attending the full Summer Residency Program July 15-26, 2019 in Durham, NC?
- Please list the name, department, and email address of a faculty member who could serve as a reference for this application.
B. Brief statement of previous and current awards and grants (award and grant titles, dates, and amounts)
C. One-page curriculum vitae
*PLEASE NOTE: You must be logged into your ucsc.edu Google account to use this application form. Questions? Please contact Irena Polić, Managing Director, THI; email@example.com or 831.459.1780.