- This event has passed.
Eve Zyzik: “Authentic texts, vocabulary load, and focus-on-form in foreign language teaching”
February 28, 2011 @ 5:15 pm - 6:30 pm | Humanities 1, Room 320
This talk will present a practical overview of the use of authentic texts for language learning purposes within the context of contemporary second language acquisition (SLA) research. Some of the questions that will be addressed during this talk include:
- What are the benefits and potential difficulties of authentic texts vis-à-vis graded readers?
- What are the advantages of extensive reading over intensive reading?
- How much vocabulary do you need to know in order to read in a foreign language?
- How much vocabulary can you “pick up” through reading?
- Can authentic texts be used to teach structural features of the language?
- How can we get students to enjoy reading in a foreign language?
Eve Zyzik is an Assistant Professor in the Spanish Language Program at UCSC. Her talk is presented as part of the Language Program’s Colloquium Series.