- This event has passed.
Against Orthodoxies: Working with Hayden White
November 1, 2019 - November 2, 2019
| Merrill College Cultural Center
Event Photos by Jessica Guild:
If you have trouble viewing above images, you may view this album directly on Flickr.
On Friday and Saturday, November 1 and 2, 2019, UC Santa Cruz will hold a conference to honor the late Hayden White.
The event is conceived as an invitation to extend Hayden White’s thinking in new directions. Inspired by his rigorous, daring, iconoclastic spirit, this will be a time for experiment and dialogue. Confirmed participants are innovative scholars from a wide variety of disciplines.
Program timeline – Full Schedule Here
- Pre-Conference Gathering: November 1st @ 10:30am, Hayden White Archive Exhibition at McHenry Library
- Day 1: November 1st @ 1pm-5:30pm in the Merrill College Cultural Center, dinner to follow
- Day 2: November 2nd @ 9am-5:30pm in the Merrill College Cultural Center, reception to follow
Judith Butler (UC Berkeley)
Carol Mavor (University of Manchester)
Susan Stewart (Princeton University)
- Karyn Ball (University of Alberta)
- Amy Elias (University of Tennessee)
- Amir Eshel (Stanford)
- Robert Harrison (Stanford)
- Ethan Kleinberg (Wesleyan)
- Paul Kottman (New School for Social Research)
- María Inés la Greca (Universidad de Buenos Aires)
- David Palumbo-Liu (Stanford)
- Todd Presner (UC Los Angeles)
- Jose Rabasa (UC Berkeley)
- Veronica Tozzi (Universidad de Buenos Aires)
Paul Roth, Professor of Philosophy, UCSC
James Clifford, Professor Emeritus, History of Consciousness, UCSC
Karen Bassi, Professor of Literature and Classics, UCSC
The Humanities Institute at UC Santa Cruz. With support from UCSC’s Cowell College, Stanford University’s Division of Literatures, Cultures and Languages, and the Neufeld-Levin Chair of Holocaust Studies.