Deadline: Wednesday March 22nd, 2023
Amount: $6,000 fellowship for Summer 2023
Funded by the Hayden V. White Endowment in Historical and Cultural Theory, this fellowship provides financial support for the research and writing of a dissertation on a topic that honors the memory and intellectual legacy of Hayden White, longtime Distinguished Professor of the History of Consciousness.
Eligibility: The student must be:
a) a PhD candidate in a graduate program in any department in the Humanities, Social Sciences, or Arts Divisions (Important: in order to fill out the application, you must show your departmental affiliation by adding a primary organization on your InfoReady profile)
b) within normative time and in good academic standing
c) enrolled in at least five credits of graduate-level coursework (students are ineligible to apply while on leave)
NOTE: Fellows are required to present their work during the annual Graduate Research Symposium, hosted by the UCSC Graduate Division during Spring 2024
Application: Applications must include the following:
- Letter of application describing the current status of your dissertation research. Briefly indicate how your topic is connected to or inspired by Hayden White’s work.
- Brief statement of previous and current awards and grants (awards and grant titles, dates, and amounts)
- Summary of the dissertation project (no more than 3 pages), contextualizing the significance of the project for people who are not in your field of study
- One-page curriculum vitae
- Contact information for your department Graduate Director who will be required to confirm through InfoReady that you will be within normative time and in good academic standing during the 2023-2024 Academic Year (they will be prompted to do this after you submit your application).
- Brief letter of support from your faculty advisor, evaluating your academic work to date and verifying that you are within normative time and in good academic standing. The letter should address why the research is important and how it will contribute to your progress toward the degree. Advisors should submit their letters via InfoReady. When you click “Send Reference Letter Request” on a saved InfoReady draft application, your advisor will receive an email containing a unique link to a web page to upload their letter.
Make sure you use the “Login for University of California, Santa Cruz Users.” Please follow the steps in our InfoReady Guide if this is your first time using InfoReady. We encourage you to start your application as soon as possible to familiarize yourself with the InfoReady platform.
Questions? Please contact Saskia Nauenberg Dunkell, Research Programs and Communications Manager.