- This event has passed.
PhD+: “Undisciplining Your Research: A Hands-On Workshop to Translate Academic Humanities Research for Multiple Publics”
January 12, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm | Stevenson Fireside LoungeFree
“Undisciplining Your Research: A Hands-On Workshop to Translate Academic Humanities Research for Multiple Publics”
If you have trouble viewing above images, you may view this album directly on Flickr.
– Sarah Papazoglakis, PhD Candidate, Literature
– Kara Hisatake, PhD Candidate, Literature & MLA Public Engagement Fellow
About: As doctoral students in the humanities, how do we communicate the importance of our work outside of our disciplines without it sounding reductive? How do we communicate what we do and why it matters to people outside of academia, including prospective employers?
In this workshop, you will:
– Hear from several hiring managers in the private and nonprofit sectors about what turns them on and off when humanities PhDs apply for jobs at their organizations. Learn to avoid common pitfalls.
– Create a one-page draft cover letter for a job in the private or public sector.
– Make an informal 3-minute video about your research using your smartphone or computer. Enter the video into the UCSC Grad Slam competition for a chance to win $3000!
Choose from sample job descriptions and cover letter templates provided at the workshop. Or bring a job description that interests you and your own sample cover letter.
Kara Hisatake is a PhD Candidate in Literature and a 2018-2019 MLA Connected Academics Career Development Boot Camp Fellow. Sarah Papazoglakis is a PhD Candidate in Literature and part of the 2018 UCSC Chancellor’s Graduate Internship Program Cohort.
PhD+ Workshop Series
Please join us for the third year of PhD+ Workshops, hosted by the Humanities Institute. We will meet monthly, over lunch, to discuss: possible career paths for PhDs, internship possibilities, grants/fellowships, work/life balance, elements of style, and much more.
Lunch provided to all attendees
*Stay tuned for more information.
Please RSVP below: